The Vision of the Ministry of Tourism is for the Maldives to be the best example of sustainable tourism development – a nation with an economically profitable tourism industry in harmony with its natural environment, cultural resources, and the values of its people.
Improve the quality of life of the Maldivian people by optimizing and balancing the economic, environmental, and socio-cultural benefits of tourism, with equitable distribution of these benefits to the society, while minimizing the possible negative impacts of tourism.
To develop tourism at a national level, and carry out long-term planning, development, monitoring, and regulatory functions to ensure a sustainable tourism industry for the benefit of the people of the Maldives.
- Formulation and implementation of development policy
- Long-term planning of tourism development at national level
- Coordination of development implementation
- Formulation and implementation of laws and regulations for tourism
- Establishment and administration of facility and service standards
- Adoption of sound environmental principles in tourism development and operation
- Statistical collection, compilation and reporting
- Conducting of research studies
- Planning and implementation of human resource development for tourism
- Establishment and administration of training standards, in coordination with the concerned authorities.
- Leasing of land for tourism and registration of all tourism operators and facilities