The Ministry of Tourism envisions to become a benchmark for sustainable tourism development - a nation with an economically profitable tourism industry in harmony with its natural environment, cultural resources, and the values of its people.
On behalf of the people of Maldives we promote and set the best example of sustainable tourism development – a nation with an economically profitable tourism industry in harmony with its natural environment, cultural resources, and the values of its people.
Improve the quality of life of the Maldivian people by optimizing and balancing the economic, environmental, and socio-cultural benefits of tourism, with equitable distribution of these benefits to the society by increasing the representation of Maldivians employed in the sector while minimizing the possible negative impacts of tourism and maintaining the position of Maldives in world Markets.
Roles / Functions
To develop tourism at a national level, and carry out long-term planning, development, monitoring, and regulatory functions to ensure a sustainable tourism industry for the benefit of the people of the Maldives the following roles are undertaken by the Ministry of Tourism:
- Formulation and implementation of development policy and strengthening the Policies to achieve sustainable growth in the tourism sector
- Long-term planning of tourism development at national level and ensuring the increased benefits of Guesthouse tourism to local communities and achieving sustainable growth in guesthouse tourism sector
- Coordination of development implementation through stakeholder collaborations.
- Formulation and implementation of laws and regulations for tourism and Strengthen monitoring capacity and the regulatory framework governing the tourism industry
- Establishment and administration of facility and service standards
- Adoption of sound environmental principles in tourism development and operation
- Statistical collection, compilation and reporting
- Conducting of research studies and statistical collection, compilation and reporting
- Planning and execution of human resource development for the tourism industry through strategies on increasing the representation of Maldivians employed in the tourism sector, while working on Increasing the representation of Maldivians employed in the tourism sector
- Establishment and administration of training standards, in coordination with the concerned authorities.
- Leasing of land for tourism and registration of all tourism operators and facilities.
- Formulation of Marketing Policies to strengthen Maldives' position in International Arena while maintaining the position of Maldives in world markets
- Formulate strategies to diversify the tourism products offered by Maldives